A second convention center hotel is coming to the George R. Brown Convention Center. Houston will be only the sixth city to carry the Marriott Marquis designation, which is reserved for large convention hotels of iconic design in the nation's gateway cities. A skybridge will connect the new 1,000-room hotel to the GRB's north end. The building is scheduled to open in 2016.
Here are a few features to remember about the new convention center hotel:
- Ground breaking in 2014
- Grand opening in 2016
- 1,000 rooms
- Sixth Marriott Marquis in U.S.
- Connected to George R. Brown CC
- Attached 1,800-car garage
- Texas-shaped "lazy river" pool
- Retail shops
- Public-private partnership between Houston First Corporation and RIDA Development Corporation